MediaTek officially unveils the octa core MTK6592 chip today. In last few weeks several devices are rumored to release with this chip but some doubts were there as the full specs were not revealed. Since it’s the first true octa chip in the world all of us have lot of expectations from it. The good news is the 8 CPU cores of this chip an work simultaneously.
Exynos 5410 and Exynos 5420 octa core chips are not true octa core chips as 4 blocks of CPU work at a time. These chips are using ARM’s big.LITTLE architecture. Quad core Cortex A7 and quad core Cortex A15 CPU cores are coupled together using the big.LITTLE technology. But at a time max 4 CPU cores can work at a max frequency of 1.6-1.9 GHz. But MediaTek have designed MT6592 in a different way and 8 Cortex A7 CPU cores can work at a time.
It’s quite certain octa core Cortex A7 clocked at 2.0 GHz max will perform really well and in AnTuTu more than 26000 score is very much in the cards. It can be even more, but this is what I can assume at this point. You can assume it to be more or less as powerful as Qualcomm Snapdragon 600.
True octa core MediaTek MT6592 couples Mali 450-MP4 GPU that are better than all previous GPU versions used in MTK chips. That’s why the chip is capable of decoding Ultra-HD 4k video at 30 fps like Qualcomm Snapdragon 800. It even supports 1080p video playback at 60 fps and latest video codecs like H.265, VP9.
Key Features of MediaTek MT6592
- World’s first heterogeneous computing SOC, eight Cortex A7 CPU cores clocked max at 2 GHz
- 28 nm architecture, Mali 450-MP$ GPU clocked at 700 MHz
- Ultra-HD 4k video playback, H.265 and VP9 video codecs support along with current ones
- FHD 1080p video playback at 60 fps using MediaTek ClearMotion Technology
- Supports max 16 MP CMOS at back
- More power efficient, low-latency and ensures best performance
- Dual band Wi-Fi, Miracast screen sharing, Three-in-one combo (BT, GPS, FM Radio)
Micromax is expected to release first octa core phone very soon. This could be the Canvas 5. Yesterday Canvas Glee was rumored and claimed to be the first octa core phone. But we don’t have any idea about this ‘Glee’. Intex Technologies is also readying an octa core phone based on MediaTek’s MT6592 platform.